Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Tribeca Film Festival



A few weeks ago I went to the Tribeca Film Festival. This event is an extremely popular event founded by Robert De Niro and has become a New York City staple. I always wanted to attend this festival but I either wasn’t in New York or other plans came up at the time. However, this year I was determined to go. Especially since I’m taking 160 which is a film class and since I’m interning at 20th Century Fox Film, I felt this was the most appropriate time in my life to have an enriching film experience. While at Tribeca I went to see a showing of a documentary called A Faster Horse at The Regal Cinema in Battery Park in the heart of the festival. The theatre itself was beautiful and had such intricate architecture that isn’t found in most movie theatres in New York. It was the perfect location for such a huge artistic event such as Tribeca. I even suggested to my colleagues at my internship that we use that space for future film screenings.
A Faster Horse is about the making of the new 2015 Mustang car. I dragged along a friend and former class mate who is a documentary concentration at Hunter and he suggested this film. This film opened my eyes to something new; which is what I look for in a good film. To me a good film broadens my horizons and shows me a slice of life that I was never aware of before. The film had a very dramatic feel to it and it shows the long strenuous process that goes into making just one model of a car. I never realized how serious the making of a car was. I mean the car literally has to be made perfectly or it can put thousands of lives at risk. This documentary also shows the surprisingly large Mustang fan community who treats the Mustang as if it is a celebrity or a sports team; they have their own conventions and everything.  One of the Mustang fans featured in the film sat in the same showing I was in and she would shriek every time she appeared in a scene; that was so funny. This film turned something like the making of a car that most people don’t even think about into something dramatic and exciting. It gave me a new found appreciation for documentary film style. I really enjoyed my experience at Tribeca and I hope to go back every single year.

No comments:

Post a Comment